Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Small update

Not much to say today. I wrote a few hundred more words on the story. It's moving along, but I need to spend more time with it -- which won't happen tomorrow, unfortunately. But I'll fit in what I can. So far, I haven't run into any problems with using an outline for my story. But then, the plot hasn't progressed much yet.
I do think that I may be writing this in the wrong order. Currently, the story follows the chronology of events. But I think the story will have to start in media res in order to attract people's interest in the first page. I don't think it's necessary for me to change the order I'm writing it in now. That will be something I can approach in the rewrite stage.

Technorati Tags:

3 comments:

Prof. Hex said...

You know, Lawrence Block often starts after the initial event of the story and then backs up and tells what happened leading up to it. In essence, Chapter Two, Chapter One, Chapter Three.

Brian said...

That's interesting. I'm used to thinking of stories that begin at the climax and then jump back to the beginning. The movie version of Fight Club would be a good example, or Threshold by Caitlin Kiernan.

Brian said...

Thanks writerfella. Is that story the one in F&SF from 1973? I actually have that issue! I'm going to read your story as soon as I finish up "The Rising" by Brian Keene, which I'm reading currently (despite what it says in my sidebar, which I'll have to change soon).