Friday, August 05, 2005

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"

Edward Champion takes a look at the 33 1/3 series of books about great rock and roll albums. I previously read two of the books, "Piper At the Gates of Dawn" and "Forever Changes." The first looks at every detail of the album's recording. The second put the album in a social and literary context. I liked the second one better.
Looking over Ed's reviews, I would be interested in reading "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" (mainly because it's such a great, weird album) and "Born in the USA" (based more on what Ed says about it.)
I would have been interested in "Music From Big Pink" until I read the excerpt. It's a novella in which Big Pink plays an important role, but the writing didn't grab me. Besides, if I want to read about the Band, I can always go re-read Mystery Train.

No comments: