Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Captain Beefheart, horror movies, Buckethead and the kitchen sink

I really do love it when my weird, obscure obsessions come together. First, today, I find out that Gary Lucas has a blog. For those of you who haven't hear of Lucas, he was a guitarist in Captain Beefheart's Magic Band in its last version, the one that recorded classics like "Doc at the Radar Station" and "Ice Cream for Crow." He has since had a career playing guitar solo and with people like John Zorn and Jeff Buckley.
Then I find on his blog that Lucas was friends with Bill Moseley. Moseley is a horror film actor who first came to my attention as Chop Top in "Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2." His latest film is "The Devil's Rejects," which is directed by Rob Zombie. Lucas's blog item is basically a review of that film (he didn't like it much.) He also talks about how he and Moseley ran a horror film society called Things That Go Bump in the Night at Yale in the early 1970s.
Two other interesting things about Moseley, he's a Connecticut native (just like me!) and he has worked with guitarist Buckethead (not like me). Buckethead (yes, the guy in the KFC bucket who was in Guns N Roses for a short time) is also a favorite guitarist of mine. You can also check out Moseley's truly bizarre Web site, Chop Top's BBQ.

No comments: