Wednesday, September 17, 2003

I rarely listen to the radio anymore these days. But yesterday I did. I turned on the local "alternative" station Radio 104 WMRQ. Much to my surprise, I encountered hip-hop and top 40 radio. Someone had taken it away and replaced it with stuff I hear everywhere else.
Now, I'm not going to complain too much. 104 had become as repetitive and boring as every other radio station in the last 6 years. But back when it started (1994?), it was the first alternative station in Connecticut. Before that you listened to either college radio (always a good idea) or Long Island's 98.5 (which I think has also been replaced).
At the time, it was a breath of fresh air on Connecticut radio. I miss that. But it had long since gone stale. I hope in the near future, we get some other station that will change the radio landscape of Connecticut. But I think it's highly unlikely. Thank god WNHU 88.7 and WPKN 89.5 are still around.

No comments: