Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Harlan Ellison interviewed

AZ Central interviews the "Grand master of fabulism" in advance of Saturday's Nebula event when he will be named Grand Master. He has some interesting things to say in the article, so I hope you click the link. But I couldn't help but chuckle over the image this quote provides:

And, of course, I still watch Judge Judy every day. You know, you can watch everything on television night and day and you will not see real people. But Judy, what it is is small-claims court, and you get the cadences of the voices of average people. You can see, sadly, how ignorant most people are these days.


I get a quaint image of the aging Ellison in a comfy chair, eagerly awaiting Judge Judy every afternoon.

I really wish Ellison was writing more these days. I haven't read a new story from him in ages.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

According to the latest Locus, he trademarked his name. The funniest part was throughout the rest of the issue, there was a (tm) after every single mention of his name.

Brian said...

I'm assuming that's an April Fool's joke, right? Please? It's pretty funny though.

That gets back to my last point though, in the last decade, HE's been more famous for copyright fights (and television appearances) than his fiction. Get back to the fiction! (Or, have I missed something? If he has new ficton out there that I'm unaware of, please clue me in.)

Brian said...

That, by the way, was me with a different profile. Ignore that please.