Monday, October 31, 2005

Happy Halloween

It is that most wonderful of holidays filled with goblins and ghouls and ghastly things. And where will I be for all this dark tomfoolery? At work. As usual. Working for a daily newspaper can be frustrating. But for all you trick-or-treaters and costumed partiers, I'll be with you in spirit.
Most of today, however, is consumed with National Novel Writing Month and my preparations. I really shouldn't have waited to the last minute to create characters and plot this thing, but that seems to be my modus operandi. It will be interesting attempting this again after last year's break. Can I do 2,000 words a day? Will I be frustrated with myself? Will I reach new levels of joy in my writing? All will be answered in the next 30 days. Same weird time, same weird channel.
I do know that my novel will focus a giant monster, mutations and a quest. There also might be a tired, cynical adventurer in there as well. I hope I can pull it all together and make it fun.
For all of you other Nanowrimers out there, good luck and I'll see you at the finish line.

2 comments:

Cybele said...

October 31st is last minute? Dude, November 25th is last minute.

I just pulled some stats from last year, I ended up throwing out my first day's work and didn't restart until the 7th ... that's some last minute stuff!

You're gonna be just fine. You're a pro at this. This is your fourth, right?

Brian said...

Hey Cybele, thanks for the good wishes. Actually, this is my third time. Last year, I gave up early. Too many good things were going on in my real life and the online life sort of faltered. But this year I'm ready.
Actually, you're right about this being plenty of time. Most times I have nothing ready for Nov. 1, so I guess I'm ahead of the game.
On the other hand, you're the master of the 10,000+ word days. I do 5,000 words in a day and I feel worn out.
But one way or another, I'll manage.

Brian.