Monday, October 20, 2003

Well, I don't have much time at the computer today. I have to wait for a utility man to show up anytime between noon and 4 p.m. There doesn't seem to be any giant squid news of import today anyway.
I'm finally starting to get excited about Nanowrimo again. I feel like writing. I still don't have many more ideas for my story than I had on Oct. 1. But that's all right. Flying by the seat of one's pants is what Nanowrimo is all about. Last year, I had a plot that completely changed by Nov. 2, so it's not like I haven't done it before.
The Connecticut wrimos are holding a get-together on Sunday. I've said I'll be there. It's probably one of the only events I'll be able to attend. My wonky schedule doesn't allow for many night events.
We have a municipal liaison this year and she really seems to be on top of things. She's already got a whole list of events for November. I half-heartedly started that kind of thing last year, but gave up rather quickly. It's a lot of work and I wish her the best.
***
I saw Kill Bill Vol. 1 Friday. It was exactly as I expected, a good ride with lots of blood. There's almost no dialogue, but when they do speak (as in Lucy Liu's marvelous speech), it's pure Tarantino. I think there's more depth to be found in this movie, but we won't know until the second "volume" is released. I'm probably going to see it again in another week, so we'll see if my impressions change.
This week I hope to see Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Which reminds me. This Slate review of the original Massacre annoys me. It's written by somebody who obviously is written by somebody who knows nothing about horror and decided to write about Texas Chainsaw Massacre as a way to show how hip they are. The writer says: "But the new film is a cynical exercise in fright and disgust, where the original had a deep resonance to it."
Yeah, maybe so, I don't know. But I bet if it was 1974, this writer would be telling us how horrible Massacre is and pointing out what a magnificent movie "The Wolf Man" is.
The writer also doesn't what they're talking about. "Chainsaw gave birth to the multipart horror franchises that have filled multiplexes for the last two decades and may have convinced Hollywood that good money lay in bloodwork" Um, no. Chainsaw was an inspiration many, many films. However, Chainsaw followed in the path of other multipart franchises. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 didn't come out until after Halloween 2 and 3 and well into the Friday the 13th series.
I like that the article praises Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but I just feel it's kind of hollow.

No comments: